Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quincy Miller to Leave Baylor for NBA

Baylor F Quincy Miller has decided to leave Baylor in order to be eligible for the NBA draft.

I know that a lot of people are going to be very angry about this news, and honestly, while I think that anger is an overreaction, I can't blame them. Quincy held a press conference earlier this month announcing that he would be staying at Baylor for another year, and those of us who like to try to predict things way before their time gladly pencilled him into our imaginary line-ups. I, for one, was really excited to hear that he was staying. I felt that he could really benefit from another year of college basketball and (selfishly, as a Baylor fan) that the team would be better than even this year with his experience and talents setting the tone.

If Quincy has been assured that he will be a draft pick and will get a contract this year, then I can definitely understand his decision to leave. There is always the spectre of injury that looms over every year not playing with a guaranteed pay-check and sometimes the risk-reward scales tip in favour of leaving. As an objective viewpoint-he made the best decision for him.

As a fan, however, I do wish that this had happened before he had announced that he was staying. It hurts us, as a university fanbase, to think that he's spurning the opportunity to lead our [his] team to greater heights (some of us were likely even daydreaming about NCAA titles). When someone says that they love their team, love their school, and love their fans the way that he did, it is a shock when things suddenly happen like this. However, Mark C Moore (from Our Daily Bears) has it right- Quincy didn't stop being a Baylor Bear today.

I wish him the best of luck, and, for his sake, I hope that leaving Baylor was indeed the right choice to make. As a fan, I can only think longingly of what could have been.


No comments:

Post a Comment